The first “Moisiu” National Theater Festival for Albanian drama took place in Skopje in November.
At the end of September, it was announced that the four main Albanian theaters in Albania, Kosovo, and North Macedonia (National Theater of Kosovo, Albanian Theater in Skopje, National Theater of Albania and National Experimental Theater “Kujtim Spahivogli”) had signed a Cooperation Agreement in order to increase cooperation between Albanian theaters.
The theatres agreed to annually produce a national show – starting from 2023 – and to present a festival of Albanian work.
The first edition of “Moisiu” National Theater Festival – named after the well-known Austrian actor of Albanian origin, Aleksandr Moisiu – was held in Skopje, North Macedonia between 16th and 27th November, to coincide with Albania’s November National Independence Days.
Twelve theatrical performances from Prishtina, Tirana, Skopje, Ferizaj, Shkodra, Tetova, Prizren, Korça, Gostivari, and Presheva were presented over the course of the festival.
The festival jury consisted of the Albanian artists Bajrush Mjaku (actor), Luiza Xhuvani (actor), Spiro Duni (director), Melihate Qena (actor) and Adrian Morina (actor). Twelve prizes were awarded
- Best show: THREE SISTERS, Albanian Theater Skopje
- Best direction: QENDRIM RIJANI, “Three Sisters” Albanian Theater Skopje
- Best actress: ILIRE VINCA, “Father and Father”, INTEGRA Theater Prishtina
- Best actor: SOTIRAQ BRATKO, “The Merchant of Venice”, “Andon Zako Çajupi” Theater, Korçë
- Best supporting actress: ELIA ZAHARIA, “Ivanov”, National Theater of Tirana
- Best supporting actor: ALFRED TREBICKA, “Ivanov”, National Theater of Tirana
- Best new artist: KOSOVARE KRASNIQI, “Father and Father”, INTEGRA Theater Prishtina
- Career award: LURAN AHMETI
- Best costume design: SOFI KARA, “Ivanov”, National Theater of Tirana
- Best scenography: BEQO NANAJ, “The Merchant of Venice”, “Andon Zako Çajupi” Theater, Korçë
- Best musical composition: TRIMOR DHOMI, “Three Sisters” Albanian Theater Skopje
- Award for Albanian drama: “FATHER AND FATHER” Jeton Neziraj
The “Moisiu” festival will be held annually and will be organized every November in rotation; next year it is expected to take place in Tirana, and then in Pristina. This festival is supported by the Ministry of Culture of Kosovo, the Ministry of Culture of Albania and the Ministry of Culture of North Macedonia.
Further reading: review of Ivanov
Further reading: review of Father and Father
Flamur Dardeshi is a freelance writer based in Tirana. He has contributed in the areas of translation, analysis, and poetry. His main fields of interest are literature, cinematography, and theatre.